Sacramento is the capital city of California and is located in the northern portion of the state’s Central Valley. The city itself has a population of over 470,000 people. The Greater Sacramento Area (Sacramento–Arden-Arcade–Yuba City, California-Nevada) has been described as one of the country’s fastest growing regions and boasts over 2 million residents.
The Sacramento Bee’s Paul Kitagaki Jr. compiled a list of rankings about the “City of Trees”. Some of these for Sacramento or the Greater Sacramento Area include:
- 1st Happiest Mid-Size City (CareerBliss)
- Tied for 1st for Employee Engagement in the Workplace (Quantum Workplace)
- 2nd Most Transparent City (U.S. City Open Data Census)
- 3rd highest Park Score Index (The Trust for Public Land)
- 6th among Mashable.com’s 10 Most Bike Friendly Cities
- 6th among Interest.com’s Home Affordability Index
- 7th highest American Fitness Index (American College of Sports Medicine)
- 16th for Vocativ’s Livability Index for People Under 35
|Pharmacy Tech Average Annual Salary||Low||Median||High|
According to the City of Sacramento’s website, some of the Sacramento region’s largest employers include the UC Davis Health System and Sutter Health Sacramento Sierra Region; each has extensive pharmaceutical services. Employment opportunities for pharmacy technicians also exist among a range of retail and other healthcare settings in Sacramento as well.
Additionally Sacramento boasts a number of pharmacy technician schools accredited by the ASHP (American Society of Health-System Pharmacists). ASHP-accreditation represents training that meets a “standard of excellence”. Additionally completing training from an accredited program is one of the qualifying options to become a licensed pharmacy technician with the California State Board of Pharmacy.
ASHP Accredited Pharmacy Tech Schools in Sacramento
9738 Lincoln Village Drive, Suite 100; Sacramento, CA 95827; www.anthem.edu/sacramento-california
- ASHP-accredited Pharmacy Technician Diploma program
- Option to take day or evening classes
- Training for a variety of employment settings, from hospital to ambulatory (in the community)
- Small class sizes taught by licensed and experienced faculty
- 180-hour clinical experience
- Helps prepares students to sit for certification exams offered through the PTCB or ICPT
- Anthem will pay for the first certification exam written within six months of graduating
Carrington College California – Sacramento
8909 Folsom Boulevard; Sacramento, CA 95826; carrington.edu/schools/sacramento-california
- ASHP-accredited Pharmacy Technician Associate Degree & Certificate program
- Combination of theoretical (formal classroom) and hands-on (clinical externship and realistic mock settings) training
- Prepares students for entry-level pharmacy technician positions and to sit for the national certification exam
- Campuses also located in six additional California municipalities
Charles A. Jones Career and Education Center
Sacramento City Unified School District; 5451 Lemon Hill Avenue; Sacramento, CA 95824; www.scusd.edu/overview/charles-jones-career-and-education-center
- ASHP-accredited Pharmacy Technician Certificate program
- The Charles A. Jones Career and Education Center emphasizes vocational/job preparation training for adults and youth and additionally offers core courses such as writing, reading, math, ESL, GED and ABE.
- Curriculum includes computer skills, customer service, and training for general, institutional and community pharmacy, and preparation to sit for the certification exam.
- Includes hands-on training in a state-of-the-art lab and job placement
- The Center offers such support services as career, academic and financial aid counseling.
Cosumnes River College
8401 Center Parkway; Sacramento, CA 95823; www.crc.losrios.edu
- ASHP-accredited Associate of Science (A.S.) Pharmacy Technology Degree
- Prepare students for entry-level pharmacy technician careers.
- Curriculum includes classroom (didactic) and laboratory training as well as acute care & retail practicums
- Cosumnes River College is accredited by the ACCJC
- Accredited colleges and universities, including The University of California, California State University system, grant full credit to relevant courses completed at Cosumnes.
Rancho Cordova & Roseville Campuses; www.heald.edu/locations
- ASHP-accredited Associate in Applied Science Pharmacy Technology degree
- Curriculum includes hands-on training in the lab and in real-world settings
- Prepares students to sit for the national pharmacy technician certification exam
- Rancho Cordova and Roseville are located in the Greater Sacramento Area; its San Francisco campus also offers an ASHP-accredited program
- Heald College offers prospective students the opportunity to sit in on a class and take a campus tour.
- Heald College has articulation agreements with regionally accredited colleges and universities, meaning credits completed at Heald can be potentially transferred towards a Bachelor’s degree.