If you’re considering attending one of the pharmacy technician schools in Alaska, you’ll be able to work in the state that has the highest average annual salary in the country. The short training period combined with a relatively high salary makes the career of pharmacy technician a worthwhile goal to pursue.
Completion of a pharmacy tech program in Alaska will help prepare you for a role in this growing field.
Alaska Pharmacy Tech Career Outlook
Not only is Alaska the top paying state in the nation for PhT’s, but job growth in the field is also expected to be strong. In the decade spanning 2010 to 2020, Alaska is expected to have almost 700 pharmacy technicians, which is a 24%* increase in employment. In fact, across the healthcare industry, Alaska is expected to have positive economic development, partly due to the ever aging workforce in the state.
Pharmacy Technician Schools in Alaska
There are many community colleges, vocational schools, and pharmacies that offer educational programs to prospective pharmacy technicians in Alaska. One of the most important things to look for when you’re researching a program is whether it is accredited. The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) is the organization that accredits individual pharmacy tech programs, and there are several others than can offer accreditation to the school as a whole. Alaska does not currently have any pharmacy tech programs accredited by the ASHP, so be sure to review any other accreditation the program may have.
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- PhD - Trauma and Disaster Relief
- And more...
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession. Our competency-based curriculum delivers foundational knowledge and real-world skills, so what you’re learning is immediately applicable to your career. We serve more than 36,000 students from the U.S. and around the world and offer more than 140 graduate and undergraduate specializations and 20 certificate programs.
- MS - Health Care Security
- MS - Sex Therapy
- DNP - BSN-to-DNP (CCNE-accredited)
- And more...
- Pharmacy Technician
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Coding and Billing
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Health and Wellness
- AS in Health Science
- Medical Assisting
- And more...
Grow, lead, succeed - with an online graduate degree
Keiser University Graduate School provides student-centered, quality career education that enables you to make an immediate contribution to your profession. For over 35 years, Keiser University's commitment to excellence has led to success for our graduates. Our unique combination of a strong curriculum rich in relevant courses for today’s workforce and our students-first approach provides an outstanding academic experience. Become part of a caring, learning environment, whether online or on campus, led by experienced faculty who bring you real-world challenges and solutions.
- Doctor of Health Science (Online)
- Nursing, MS (Online)
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Allied Health Science (AS)
- Specialization in Nurse Educator (MSN)
- Nurse Educator (PGC)
- And more...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Undergraduate Certificate in Health Sciences
- CERT: Healthcare Management
- MS in Exercise Science: Community Physical Activity
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management
- Doctor of Management - Healthcare Management and Leadership (Executive Format)
- And more...
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- Regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA).
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor of Healthcare Management - HSA Mgt.
Pharmacy Technician Certification and Licensing Requirements in Alaska
Certification/Licensing Requirements at a Glance
- Is a Pharmacy Tech License required in Alaska? Yes
- Is registration required? Yes
- Is certification required? No
Certification by a national certification agency is not required by the state of Alaska, but is often preferred by employers. Students may sit for a certification exam provided they have met all of the requirements.
|In order to practice as a pharmacy tech in AK, the following requirements must be met.|
|Age Requirement||Candidate must be at least 18 years old.|
|Language||Must be able to read and write English fluently.|
|Fee||A fee of $50.00 must accompany the application to the State Board of Pharmacy, and there is also a $50 license fee.|
|Continuing Education||10 hours of continuing education must be met during each licensing period.|
|Renewal||Renewal applications must be sent biannually, along with a renewal fee between $25 and $50|
|Background Check||Must not have been convicted of a felony, and must be able to pass criminal background check.|
Requirements differ from state to state. As you begin to explore the career, it’s important to know what the requirements are in the state you plan to work. All information covered here is current as of March, 2013. For more information, be sure to visit your state’s Board of Pharmacy website.
Alaska Pharmacy Technician Resources
Alaska Board of Pharmacy
P.O. Box 110806
Juneau, AK 99811-0806
phone: (907) 465-2589
fax: (907) 465-2974
Alaska Pharmacists Association
According to their website, the mission of the Alaska Pharmacists Association is “to give (sic) Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians an opportunity to voice their issues and concerns regarding pharmacy practice in Alaska”.
203 W. 15th Ave. #100
Anchorage, AK 99501
Pharmacy Technician Salary in Alaska
Table 2 compares the average annual salary in Alaska in 2012 with that of the rest of the nation.
- Source Data
- *All Salary and Job Growth Data Provided by Career InfoNet and the BLS, 2012 Data. Wesbsite: http://www.careerinfonet.org/Occ_Intro.asp?id=1&nodeid=1