If you’re considering attending one of the pharmacy technician schools in Alaska, you’ll be able to work in the state that has the highest average annual salary in the country. The short training period combined with a relatively high salary makes the career of pharmacy technician a worthwhile goal to pursue.
Completion of a pharmacy tech program in Alaska will help prepare you for a role in this growing field.
Alaska Pharmacy Tech Career Outlook
Not only is Alaska the top paying state in the nation for PhT’s, but job growth in the field is also expected to be strong. In the decade spanning 2010 to 2020, Alaska is expected to have almost 700 pharmacy technicians, which is a 24%* increase in employment. In fact, across the healthcare industry, Alaska is expected to have positive economic development, partly due to the ever aging workforce in the state.
Pharmacy Technician Schools in Alaska
There are many community colleges, vocational schools, and pharmacies that offer educational programs to prospective pharmacy technicians in Alaska. One of the most important things to look for when you’re researching a program is whether it is accredited. The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) is the organization that accredits individual pharmacy tech programs, and there are several others than can offer accreditation to the school as a whole. Alaska does not currently have any pharmacy tech programs accredited by the ASHP, so be sure to review any other accreditation the program may have.
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Associate of Science in Health Science (Military Only)
- MS in Nursing
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Graduate Business Programs and Education Programs in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Financial aid is available for students who quality, with more than $1,000,000 through 10 scholarships.
- Offers 24/7 student services, including financial aid help, course registration, and career counseling.
- Students may opt in for a two week, risk-free trial period.
- Active-duty military, veterans, and Veteran’s Administration employees can save 15% on tuition.
- B.S. in Health Studies - Health Communication
- B.S. in Health Studies
- B.S. in Health Studies - Health & Cultural Diversity
- And more...
- Partnerships with thousands of companies
- Alliances with many national industry associations
- Personalized career guidance
- Job market research tools to help you explore your career of interest
- M.S. in Nursing/Master of Health Administration/Gerontology
- M.S. in Nursing/Master of Health Administration/Sustainability Management
- M.S. in Nursing/Master of Health Administration/Informatics
- And more...
- Grand Canyon University - Where a Quality Education and Faith Coexist
- Recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- We support students through their academic and spiritual journey.
- GCU offers the convenience of online, on-campus, or evening programs.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor of Healthcare Management - HSA Mgt.
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting Online
- Medical Billing and Coding Online
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession. Our competency-based curriculum delivers foundational knowledge and real-world skills, so what you’re learning is immediately applicable to your career. We serve more than 36,000 students from the U.S. and around the world and offer more than 140 graduate and undergraduate specializations and 20 certificate programs.
- DNP - BSN-to-DNP (CCNE-accredited)
- MSN - Nursing, General (CCNE-accredited)
- MSN - RN-to-MSN Nursing, General (CCNE-accredited)
- And more...
- Specialized, industry-current knowledge and skills for goal-oriented professionals.
- Curricula based upon complex, real-world situations that can challenge you to organize, research and solve problems.
- Innovative programs designed to help you maximize your current knowledge and fast track the pace of your achievements.
- Supportive community of students, educators, mentors and successful professionals ready to welcome you. Are You In?
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management
- Doctor of Management - Healthcare Management and Leadership (Executive Format)
- And more...
- Pharmacy Technician
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Coding and Billing
Grow, lead, succeed - with an online graduate degree
Keiser University Graduate School provides student-centered, quality career education that enables you to make an immediate contribution to your profession. For over 35 years, Keiser University's commitment to excellence has led to success for our graduates. Our unique combination of a strong curriculum rich in relevant courses for today’s workforce and our students-first approach provides an outstanding academic experience. Become part of a caring, learning environment, whether online or on campus, led by experienced faculty who bring you real-world challenges and solutions.
- Doctor of Health Science (Online)
- Nursing, MS (Online)
Pharmacy Technician Certification and Licensing Requirements in Alaska
Certification/Licensing Requirements at a Glance
- Is a Pharmacy Tech License required in Alaska? Yes
- Is registration required? Yes
- Is certification required? No
Certification by a national certification agency is not required by the state of Alaska, but is often preferred by employers. Students may sit for a certification exam provided they have met all of the requirements.
|In order to practice as a pharmacy tech in AK, the following requirements must be met.|
|Age Requirement||Candidate must be at least 18 years old.|
|Language||Must be able to read and write English fluently.|
|Fee||A fee of $50.00 must accompany the application to the State Board of Pharmacy, and there is also a $50 license fee.|
|Continuing Education||10 hours of continuing education must be met during each licensing period.|
|Renewal||Renewal applications must be sent biannually, along with a renewal fee between $25 and $50|
|Background Check||Must not have been convicted of a felony, and must be able to pass criminal background check.|
Requirements differ from state to state. As you begin to explore the career, it’s important to know what the requirements are in the state you plan to work. All information covered here is current as of March, 2013. For more information, be sure to visit your state’s Board of Pharmacy website.
Alaska Pharmacy Technician Resources
Alaska Board of Pharmacy
P.O. Box 110806
Juneau, AK 99811-0806
phone: (907) 465-2589
fax: (907) 465-2974
Alaska Pharmacists Association
According to their website, the mission of the Alaska Pharmacists Association is “to give (sic) Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians an opportunity to voice their issues and concerns regarding pharmacy practice in Alaska”.
203 W. 15th Ave. #100
Anchorage, AK 99501
Pharmacy Technician Salary in Alaska
Table 2 compares the average annual salary in Alaska in 2012 with that of the rest of the nation.
- Source Data
- *All Salary and Job Growth Data Provided by Career InfoNet and the BLS, 2012 Data. Wesbsite: http://www.careerinfonet.org/Occ_Intro.asp?id=1&nodeid=1